25 April 2017
08: 30 : meeting point in front of the Palacete del embarcadadero, Santander. We will take a bus to reach Liencres.
morning: Liencres dune system
Elena Fernández Iglesias, researcher at the University of Oviedo (INDUROT): geomorphological context.
Carlos Ley Vega de Seoane, director of Ecologia littoral, and Jesús Varas Cobo, from Cantabria Government (DGMN), will guide us across the dunes, explaining:
- Features, formation and historical evolution of the dune system
- Beach clean-up (E. Polygonifolia vs E. Peplis)
- Pine forest management
- Visitation pressures
13:00 – 14:00: lunch in a restaurant near the dunes
14:00: departure to Santander by bus
afternoon: presentations and debate in the General Direction of Environment
14:30: Welcome address from the representative of the Cantabria Government
- Luis Martin Rebollo, Professor of Administrative Law at the University of Cantabria: Legislative context and territorial organization in Cantabria : the keys to understanding the dune management;
- Ignacio Alonso, University of Oviedo: The outsanding wealth of Cantabrian coastal dunes;
- Maria Recio, Cantabrian Hydraulic Institute: the effects of human tramping on dune vegetation;
- Loïc Gouguet, National Technical Lead for the Littoral of the Office National des Forêts (ONF): Atlantic French dunes management, from the beach to the wooded dune.
- Paul Rooney, Liverpool Hope University:differences and similarities between southern and northern European coastal dune management priorities.
17:15-17:30: reviving of the scientists and coastal managers network for coastal risks management in the European Atlantic area (ANCORIM)
17:30-18:00: return to Santander by bus
26 April 2017
08:30 : meeting point in front of the Palacete del embarcadadero, Santander.
08:45 : departure of the ship for crossing the Santander Bay
09:00 : walk (1,5 km) to the Somo dune system
morning : Somo dune system and dune plant nursery
Carlos Ley et Lourdes González Azpiri, from Cantabria Government (DGMCN), will guide us on the field and explain:
- ARCOSLIFE activities: restored dune after marram grass and grey dune species plantation ;
- The planting techniques in the sand dunes;
- The dune plants nursery.
13:00: walk back to Somo and lunch in a restaurant near the beach
afternoon: presentations and debate in the Somo Surf center
14:30: Welcome address by Don Francisco Manuel Asón Pérez, Mayor of Ribamontan al Mar.
- Tomás Díaz Gonzalez, Professor at the University of Oviedo and ARCOSLIFE project coordinator: challenges and objectives of the project
- André Ricolleau, President of the “Communauté de Communes Océan-Marais de Monts », and Jean Magne, Task officer for the follow-up of environmental policies: French territorial communities and visitors. The « Maison de la Dune et de la Forêt » and the interactive exhibition Biotopia
- Luis Cayón, head of the Ribamontan al Mar touristic competitiveness hub: touristic uses and visitation pressures of Somo dune system ;
- David Rosebery, littoral project manager of ONF: visitors management on the Aquitaine coast.
15:45 – 17:15: debate
17:30: return to Santander by boat
18:15: arrival in Santander